Comparing Two std_logic_vectors

Why OSVVM™? Forums VHDL Comparing Two std_logic_vectors

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mavis Ivy

*Hey,

I got this on the internet :

The basic comparison operations,
    less than (<), less than or equal (<=)
    greater than (>), greater than or equal (>=)
    equal to (=) and not equal to (/=)
    are defined on the unsigned and signed types.

Using these operators directly on std_logic_vector is working with including std_logic_unsigned or std_logic_signed libraries.

But will it still work if the logic vector exceeds the max integer value ?

Torsten

First: You should use numeric_std from IEEE instead, the std_logic_unsigned or std_logic_signed are proprietary libraries written by Synopsys. For example, see this article by Sigasi for reasons why you should the IEEE libraries instead of the Synopsys ones. If you use VHDL 2008, you can use the numeric_std_unsigned / numeric_std_signed libraries from IEEE. But the main drawback remains: you can only have signed or unsigned operations in one design unit, you can’t use both libraries at the same time.

But I have looked in the source. As their implementation seems only convert to unsigned/signed internally, I see no reason why they should not work with std_logic_vectors bigger than the range of integer type. For example, ‘>’ operator is implemented like this:

function ">"(L: std_logic_vector; R: std_logic_vector) return boolean is
    begin
    return unsigned(L) > unsigned(R);
    end;

Jim Lewis

Hi Torsten,

In the IEEE VHDL-2008, there is only numeric_std_unsigned.   There is no “signed” package.  

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.