31 bit maximum data width for memory package

Why OSVVM™? Forums OSVVM 31 bit maximum data width for memory package

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hello,

Quick question. When trying to use memory package, I get an error when I try to initialize the memory with more than 31 bits as the data width. I can’t seem to find any information as to why this is the case or how to get around it.

In my test bench, the bus size is 32 bits and so I am trying to initialize the memory structure using a text file, but I get an error with the following code.

memory_ID <= NewId( Name => “AXI Lite Memory”,
    AddrWidth => C_AXI_LITE_ADDR_WIDTH, — 16
    DataWidth => C_AXI_LITE_DATA_WIDTH); — 32

Thanks in advance!

Jim Lewis

Hi Michael,
    For Axi4Memory subordinate, I made the memory byte wide and wrote each byte separately. That made handling byte enables easy. However, it does not make reading a memory file easy.

I have plans to rewrite the storage aspect so it can be more flexible in both sizes and policies. Currently the policy is if there is an X, make all bits an X. Alternate policies would be to ignore X or high fidelity X. I am looking at using generic types and subprograms.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Jim Lewis

Hi Michael,
    Testing a solution on the dev branch of OSVVM. I am thinking it will be ready shortly – hopefully Monday.

Best Regards,
    Jim

Jim Lewis

Hi Michael,
    New version is released as 2022.08. MemoryPkg is now a generic package.

Instance MemoryPkg (and MemoryPkg_X) support any number of bits. If there is an X or U in a bit in the data word, only that bit will read back as an X or U (respectively).

Instance MemoryPkg_NoX supports any number of bits. All meta values (UXZW-) are mapped to 0. For bits greater than 16, this will reduce the storage by upto half.

I tested with a 39 bit memory and did file read and write of 10 digit hex characters.
    Best Regards,
    Jim

Michael

Thanks so much for the support! We really appreciate it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.