Compiling UART testbench.pro in Questa

Why OSVVM™? Forums OSVVM Compiling UART testbench.pro in Questa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Graeme

Have created a sim_dir under OsvvmLibraries_2021_09

Have compiled the osvvv, Common + UART libraries by calling the relevant .pro files
    e.g.
    build ../UART/UART.pro

No probs so far

When I try to execute

build ../UART/testbench/testbench.pro I get this error

####################
    ####################
    do ../UART/testbench/testbench.pro
    # vmap osvvm_TbUart C:/graemej/Design_Data/OSVVM/OsvvmLibraries_2021_09/OsvvmLibraries/sim_dir/VHDL_LIBS/QuestaSim-2021.07/osvvm_TbUart.lib
    # osvvm_TbUart
    # vcom -2008 -work osvvm_TbUart C:/graemej/Design_Data/OSVVM/OsvvmLibraries_2021_09/OsvvmLibraries/sim_dir/TestCtrl_e.vhd
    # QuestaSim-64 vcom 2021.3 Compiler 2021.07 Jul 13 2021
    # Start time: 00:09:09 on Nov 05,2021
    # vcom -reportprogress 300 -2008 -work osvvm_TbUart C:/graemej/Design_Data/OSVVM/OsvvmLibraries_2021_09/OsvvmLibraries/sim_dir/TestCtrl_e.vhd
    # ** Error: (vcom-7) Failed to open design unit file “C:/graemej/Design_Data/OSVVM/OsvvmLibraries_2021_09/OsvvmLibraries/sim_dir/TestCtrl_e.vhd” in read mode.
    # No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)
    # End time: 00:09:09 on Nov 05,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
    # Errors: 1, Warnings: 0
    # ** Error: C:/MentorTools/questasim64_2021.3/win64/vcom failed.
    #######################
    #######################

so it is looking for ‘TestCtrl_e.vhd’ in my sim_dir folder instead of looking for it in ../UART/testbench
    What am I doing wrong here ?

Jim Lewis

Hi Graeme,
    You need to do
    build ../UART/testbench/testbench.pro

In OSVVM, build and include use a path reference relative to the script they are running.
    Hence, in testbench.pro, it just says analyze TestCtrl_e.vhd. The path to testbench.pro gets
    automatically prepended onto the file name. Hence, when writing scripts we only need to know
    the path to the files from the script.

Why build vs include? build establishes a log point. If you look in the logs directory, for each build you run there will be a log file. In the next release there will also be some test completion files in your sim_dir. Generally speaking, I use build to start a regression run and establish a single log file, and then include on the inside to assemble the pieces of the regression run.

do (EDA tools) and source (tcl) run relative to the current directory the simulator
    is in – your sim_dir. So to use those, one is stuck passing in a path variable. Which
    requires the author of scripts to work much harder to get something that can run and
    others can read.

You gave me a start for a minute. I had run 2021.02, but not regularly since it had
    a few issues. So I was regularly running 2020.10. I just installed 2021.04.
    So I think maybe tonight is a good night to run complete regressions against it.

Cheers,
    Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.